How to choose the right hosiery for you and your body shape
Nowadays there are a wide variety of tights and stockings available.
No matter what the fashion, from career wear to formals, leg and calve type, petite in size to tall or bigger sizes, and no matter what the occasion from weddings to day or evening events, what your personality is or what your budget is your options are numerous. That means there is a leg type, shape and colour for everyone since only a few privileged women can wear all the styles, shapes and colour in the spectrum.
The rest of us need to follow a guide line of what works best for their leg line
- types of hosiery
- types of tights
- type of pattern
- what colour of hosiery/tights
- which Denier works and looks best
and also what looks best in context with
- their height
- calf size
In general colour details not good for big calves.
Hosiery is not only an easy way but also an inexpensive way ( it can be expensive, but not necessary) to update your wardrobe where you incorporate different styles and trends.
Here are some tips how to choose the right colour and style, because they our will help to flatter the shape of your leg and provide the right fit for your leg and calf:
- In general darker colours will minimize and make your legs appear slimmer.
- Tights in shades that matches the colour of your heel will make your leg line look longer.
- Choose your hosiery right for your body shape. Know your body shape rules before choosing your hosiery. Some body shapes are better with attention in their leg line and other are best to keep in lean and clean.
- Patterns and bright colour add visual volume to the leg line. So, be aware that you don't choose size over suitability. Only because it comes in your size, doesn't mean it will look right on you. Patterns and bright colour make the leg line look fuller as well bring the attention to it. So, make sure you create the right focus on your leg line. As well watch out when you need to do proportional dressing - they are best for women who have a short body and long legs and who are of average to tall height.
- When short in height try to create a monochromatic look - the same colour from head to.
- For a taller silhouette you need to do the opposite and breaking/splitting the colour palette of your look by choosing contrast in colour, and/ or pattern, and/ or texture
- When you have big calves and knees keep to solid neutral, darker shades with a higher denier. It will have a slimming effect on them. Patterns and bright colours only highlight your calf size in a negative light, because it adds visually volume to them.
- When you have veins or other skin blemishes on your leg to cover up, then it is best to choose hosiery with at 40 denier.
- When you have a mature skin it its best to choose 21 + denier to add vibrance and a youthful look. Shine & gloss are great to overcome any dullness in your skin.
- Also, in my personal opinion women with a mature skin are best to choose hosiery with a pattern than go for plain ones, because they easily date your look. Patterned hosiery will simply add a more current feel and in the moment touch to your look.
- Go a size bigger than you must. It will give you better comfort when wearing, make it easer to get in and will minimise the risk of runs.
- When wearing sandals or open-toe heels, choose never a skin tone colour- it is really not a good look. On one hand you are making efforts to match your tights to your skin tone and on the other hand by wearing an open shoe you are showing that it is all fake. But if you really must then here is tip how to do it:
- Make sure to pull the toe seam to the very tip of your toes, or try to tuck it under the top of your foot if it's comfortable to walk on and also choose the tights in colour a darker shade or pattern/texture, which are not see through meaning and have a higher denier.
- Also, choose for these occasion a sandal toe, which is a toe designed to be worn with open toe footwear to give a more naked appearance to your toes, contrasting with the standard "reinforced toe" that is very visible and more suited to wearing under court shoes and other styles where the toes are hidden.
- A reinforced toe hose will give you extra strength and provide protection from runs, but again should only be worn with closed-toe high heels when choosing them in skin tone colours.
- Black is an all rounder for all season and occasion and will always look smart and elegant. It gives a clear outline to legs and it has a slight slimming effect.
- Keep in mind that your tights is pulling your outfit together rather doing the opposite, which means don't choose the wrong denier with your outfit or the style and pattern for your calf size, body shape and height.
- Wear the appropriate denier for weather and occasion in your hosiery. E.g.In winter avoid wearing summer tights( light in denier) with winter or cold weather. It will make your look inappropriate and look completely underdressed, because the heavy clothes fabric will overpower the light tights rather complementing each other in style.
- Hosiery are available in different finishes, including matte, slight sheen and shiny. Matte hosiery is smart and subtle and suitable for any occasion. Hosiery with a slight sheen softens the appearance of your legs and gives an elegant appearance suitable for both day and evening wear. A shiny finish will draw attention to your legs, so is more suitable if you have slim legs
- Be economical with your spending hosiery: they all get runs and pulls. So, my advice spent more money on the tights with a higher denier because they are more run resistant, more durable and get more wear outs out of them, because you can wash them.
Save and Share